[gmx-users] window spacing in umbrella sampling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 6 20:42:46 CET 2017

On 1/6/17 2:22 PM, faride badalkhani wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I have performed pulling simulations on polymer-drug complex an each window
> was obtained by an increment of 1 Å from the previous window, and for each
> window, 5 ns MD simulation was performed. But the histogram for the first 6
> windows is as follows:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yzmbyl2nrt6hwq/histo.xlsx?dl=0
>
> I am very beginner in Umbrella sampling. Could you tell me how should I
> change the sampling to get a reasonable histogram, please?

The windows are not evenly spaced and/or the force constant is insufficient to
maintain the desired restraint distances.  You have mostly redundant windows
with a huge gap.  You may need more windows, better/different spacing, and/or
different force constants.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629