[gmx-users] Specs for GPU box

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:20:22 CET 2017

Hi Szilárd,

Thanks for responding. Yes, those systems are indeed expensive, and our
main objective here wasn't really bang for the buck. What we want is the
fastest possible single node for the money, and if that means an extra
$5-10K, we're okay with that. The machine we want to build isn't
dedicated to MD, but more of a general purpose number crunching beast.
For DFT calculations we want what you described, i.e. 1-2TB --  these
benefit tremendously from massive amounts of RAM and CPU clock rate &
cache amount. So, we want a _really_ fast machine, which among other
things will perform beautifully with GMX and LAMMPS. Yes, the K80 cards
appear to be well outdated for our CPU selection. What would you
recommend in terms of GPUs for an E7-based system?

We will be working with a vendor, who, given the amount of money in
question, will likely agree to assemble the machine and do benchmarks
prior to sale. Given what you said already, can you suggest any GPUs to
start with? If you guys are interested, I am 100% open to sharing the
benchmark results.

Thank you!

Alex