[gmx-users] Topology parameters for ligand

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 7 21:15:24 CET 2017

On 1/7/17 6:05 AM, tasneem kausar wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am following Justin's tutorial methane in water for free energy
> calculation. I am using Gromacs-5.1.4. The charges of methane in topology
> are set to zero. So following the same protocol, is it relevant to set the
> charges at zero in topology of the drug. I am confused because in tutorial
> of Sander (ethanol in water) charges are present in the topology file.
>
> Please tell me the difference in both the tutorials and how can I apply it
> to drug that I want to study.

The charges in my tutorial are set to zero because the stated goal of that
tutorial is to reproduce *only the LJ portion of the hydration free energy* to
match a published paper.  This creates a very simple, robust system.  If you
want to calculate a real, meaningful hydration or binding free energy, charge
transformation is required.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629