[gmx-users] MM dihedral scanning

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 13 13:46:10 CET 2017

On 1/12/17 11:20 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> because all 4 dihedrals of O-C-CH2-CH3 seems equivalent to me). Am I
>>> right?
>>>

>> No, there are 2 O-C-CH2-CH3 dihedrals, not 4.
>>

> How come? :-)  there are two ethyls and two oxygens in the ring. Each ethyl
> forms two dihedrals (one with each oxygen).
> Thus, there would be 4 dihedrals.  And all of these 4 should be equivalent.

Sorry, mentally jumping ahead.  By atom typing, yes, there are 4 that are the
same, but there are still only 2 equivalent rotatable bonds that need to be
addressed.  So you can define the rotation in the PES as either of the two for a
given rotatable bond, they're redundant.  So choose one and fit to it.  You are,
in any case, doing a PES of the entire molecule, so the fitting accounts for the
redundancy.

-Justin

>>> Should
>>> it be still in vacuum?
>>>

>> Yes.  The fact that a molecule is irrelevant except for when considering
>> the dipole moment.
>>
>> Is there any specific consideration to be made in zero-step MD? e.g. a big
>>> simulation box or specific parameter in .mdp file?
>>>

>> Infinite cutoffs, no PBC.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences