[gmx-users] Pulling Mechanics

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jan 15 18:50:39 CET 2017

On 1/13/17 6:37 PM, Alexander Yang wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am pulling a water molecule into a bilayer using an absolute reference
> (mdp file below). I have tried to adapt methodology in Justin Lemkul's
> umbrella sampling tutorial, but I have encountered a couple issues:

If you're trying to get water to move into a bilayer, why are you using an
absolute restraint?  Intuitively, the groups should be the bilayer and the water.

> 1) The bilayer (already well-equilibrated) is either being pulled or
> drifting. Without the pull code, the bilayer does not move. I've defined
> center of mass motion removal for the non-waters, which I would expect to
> keep the bilayer still. I've copied the mdp file below (Tracer2117
> corresponds to 2117SOL, but I've defined the Tracer2117 group in the index
> file as the 3 atoms that correspond to this water)

Applying COM motion removal to one group and not another is highly artificial.
Couple that with your use of an absolute restraint (also somewhat artificial)
and you're layering bad things upon bad things.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629