[gmx-users] permeation events- ion channels in bilayer

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jan 15 18:52:09 CET 2017

On 1/14/17 7:18 AM, Alex Mathew wrote:
> Dear GMX users,
>
> We are looking for water permeation events across the ion-channel, which is
> embedded in lipid bilayer. After one micro second MD simulation in
> Gromacs2016.1 i used the below script for calculating the  permeation
> events,
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/
> nanotubes/files/permeation.tcl
>
> Unfortunately all the time it gives zero value (I have tried for different
> upperEnd  and lowerEnd ), but i can visualize the water movements in VMD
> screen.
>
> Kindly provide your valuable suggestions, since i don't have much expertise
> in coding/programming.

If you define permeation as a water moving into the core of the membrane or
channel, you can use gmx select to calculate appropriate upper and lower
boundaries (based on, e.g. upper and lower leaflet P coordinates or some
suitable amino acids that define the boundaries of the channel) and then
calculate the number of waters that have an oxygen with a z-coordinate between
these boundaries.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629