[gmx-users] Pulling Mechanics

Alexander Yang ahy3nz at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 16 21:04:42 CET 2017

On 1/13/17 6:37 PM, Alexander Yang wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am pulling a water molecule into a bilayer using an absolute reference
> > (mdp file below). I have tried to adapt methodology in Justin Lemkul's
> > umbrella sampling tutorial, but I have encountered a couple issues:
> >

> If you're trying to get water to move into a bilayer, why are you using an
> absolute restraint?  Intuitively, the groups should be the bilayer and the
> water.

My goal is to construct an excess free energy profile of water (in the
z-direction) in these bilayer systems to compare permeability. I'm using a
z-constraining method that involves pulling a single water molecule to
various z-coordinates (depths in the bilayer), constraining that molecule,
and recording the forces on that molecule. My idea has been to use an
absolute reference to anchor the water molecule to a particular
z-coordinate while still being free to roam in the xy-plane. I'm not trying
to introduce extra forces on the bilayer system itself to pull a water
molecule inside.

> > 1) The bilayer (already well-equilibrated) is either being pulled or
> > drifting. Without the pull code, the bilayer does not move. I've defined
> > center of mass motion removal for the non-waters, which I would expect to
> > keep the bilayer still. I've copied the mdp file below (Tracer2117
> > corresponds to 2117SOL, but I've defined the Tracer2117 group in the
> > file as the 3 atoms that correspond to this water)
> >

> Applying COM motion removal to one group and not another is highly
> artificial.
> Couple that with your use of an absolute restraint (also somewhat
> artificial)
> and you're layering bad things upon bad things.

Because I was using an absolute reference, I was hoping to keep the
equilibrated bilayer still so the profile could be accurately constructed
for a profile of z-coordinates.