[gmx-users] MM dihedral scanning

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:37:21 CET 2017

Hi Gromacs users,

I want to follow recommended procedure (by Justin) for MM scanning of
rotatable dihedrals and do it manually by Gromacs.

I have made the following em.mdp (for restraining desired rotatable bond
and relaxing the rest of molecule) and md-zero.mdp for the single-point
energy calculation.
I was wondering if these parameters seems reasonable.

*em.mdp:*

define                   = -DPOSRES
integrator              = steep
emtol                    = 1000.0
nsteps                  = 5000
vdwtype                = Cut-off
vdw-modifier          = Force-switch
coulombtype         = pme
;
constraints                  = h-bonds
constraint_algorithm     = LINCS
; to do a MM scan
nstlist                   = 0
ns-type                 = simple
pbc                      = no
cutoff-scheme      = group
rcoulomb              = 0
rvdw                    = 0
rvdw_switch         = 0
rlist                      = 0

*md-zero.mdp:*

define                   =
integrator              = md
dt                         = 0.001
nsteps                  = 0
nstlog                   = 0
nstxout                 = 0
nstvout                 = 0
nstfout                  = 0
nstcalcenergy       = 0
nstenergy              = 0
;
nstxout-compressed        = 100000
compressed-x-precision   = 1000
coulombtype                   = pme
vdwtype                          = Cut-off
vdw-modifier                    = Force-switch
constraints                     = h-bonds
constraint_algorithm        = LINCS
nstcomm                       = 100
comm_mode                  = linear
comm_grps                   = system
refcoord_scaling            = com
;
nstlist                   = 0
ns-type                 = simple
pbc                      = no
cutoff-scheme      = group
rcoulomb              = 0
rvdw                    = 0
rvdw_switch         = 0
rlist                     = 0

*I will use this command to calculate it:*

mdrun  -s  input.tpr   -rerun   configuration.pdb   -nsteps  0

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Mohsen

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Thanks. interesting!
>> So, for now, lets focus on one of those dihedrals which has another
>> equivalent.
>> If I do PES on a rotatable bond in one ethyl, the other equivalent
>> rotatable bond in other ethyl will be free to move. If I understood
>> correctly, you meant it does not matter and I can do PES with one of the
>> two.
>>
>> Looking at QM and MM profiles by GAAMP, I figured out something
>> interesting:
>> If I shift the MM graph for 120 in phi direction, MM and QM will be
>> similar
>> in their general behaviour and it is much much better that before.
>> It works for shift of 240 too, but 120 results in better agreement with QM
>> PES.
>>

> This sounds like the phase and/or multiplicity are off.  Perhaps a bad
> initial guess of the parameters threw off the fitting.
>
> So, there might be two possible reasons for this:
>> 1) parameters are not good and this is how it is
>> 2) GAAMP has started rotation from different starting points (with a
>> difference of 120)
>> 3) GAAMP made a mistake for taking one dihedral for QM and took the
>> equivalent one for MM PES. (i.e. taking one of oxygen atoms in QM and
>> other
>> Oxygen in MM for the same rotatable bond)
>>
>> I should read the deatils of how GAAMP did these exactly to rule out the
>> options 2 and 3
>>

> That's the beauty of GAAMP - it gives you full input and output for all
> the QM and MM processes.  It should be quite apparent what the programs
> did.  Perhaps it did not deal elegantly with the symmetry of the molecule.
> Its programs are quite robust but no black box is perfect (automated
> parametrization is a long-standing goal but in truth there's a lot of work
> left to be done).
>
> -Justin
>

> Cheers
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> are
>>> the same, but there are still only 2 equivalent rotatable bonds that need
>>> to be addressed.  So you can define the rotation in the PES as either of
>>> the two for a given rotatable bond, they're redundant.  So choose one and
>>> fit to it.  You are, in any case, doing a PES of the entire molecule, so
>>> the fitting accounts for the redundancy.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
>>>
>>> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
>>> School of Pharmacy
>>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>>> 20 Penn St.
>>> Baltimore, MD 21201
>>>
>>> jalemkul at outerbanks.umaryland.edu | (410) 706-7441
>>> http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~jalemkul

>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

*Rewards work better than punishment ...*