[gmx-users] dihedral MM scan

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:40:35 CET 2017

Thanks Justin,

I did the scan for the whole range from -180 to 180 in 10 intervals.
I used emtol = 50, and restrain force of 100000 to have a better relaxation
and restraining, respectively.
Unfortunately, my MM profiles do not look similar to GAAMP QM or MM
profiles, although I have used the suggested parameters.

To check the method I am using and the parameters in the .mdp files, I did
the MM scanning on a rotatable bond (CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3) similar to one can be
found in a lipid tail.
This dihedral was detected as a soft dihedral by GAAMP and there was a good
agreement between QM and MM profiles.
Here again, my MM profile from scanning does not seem reasonable.
Most importantly, there is a very large barrier at angle 0 (ca. 300 times
of energies in other angles). Besides, there are sudden increase or
decrease in energy just by 10 degree of rotation.

Any suggestion is appreciated in advance.
Cheers
Mohsen

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 1/18/17 9:51 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>
>> Dear Gromacs users,
>>
>> I want to do a MM scan on a dihedral and compare with the available QM
>> profile using Gromacs 5.1.3
>>
>> I used the following (updated compared to my last email on parameters)
>> em.mdp and md.mdp files for relaxation and zero-step md, respectively.
>>
>> *em.mdp:*
>> define                     = -DPOSRESDIH
>> integrator                 = steep
>> emtol                       = 100.0
>> nsteps                     = 50000
>> vdwtype                   = Cut-off
>> vdw-modifier            = none
>> coulombtype             = Cut-off
>> constraints                = h-bonds
>> constraint_algorithm    = LINCS
>> nstlist                        = 0
>> ns-type                      = simple
>> pbc                           = no
>> cutoff-scheme           = group
>> rcoulomb                   = 0
>> rvdw                         = 0
>> rvdw_switch             = 0
>> rlist                            = 0
>>
>> Which, by -DPOSRES I am applying position restraint on specific dihedral
>> of
>> interest.
>> The following lines were included at the end of molecule.itp
>>
>> #ifdef POSRES
>>
>> [ dihedral_restraints ]
>>
>>  1    18  8   9     1   120   0   10000
>>
>> #endif
>>

>> *as for md.mdp:*
>>
>> define                  =
>> integrator              = md
>> dt                        = 0.001
>> nsteps                  = 0
>> nstlog                  = 0
>> nstxout                 = 0
>> nstvout                 = 0
>> nstfout                  = 0
>> nstcalcenergy           = 0
>> nstenergy                 = 0
>> nstxout-compressed      = 100000
>> compressed-x-precision  = 1000
>> coulombtype                  = Cut-off
>> vdwtype                         = Cut-off
>> vdw-modifier                   = none
>> constraints                     = h-bonds
>> constraint_algorithm        = LINCS
>> nstcomm                         = 100
>> comm_mode               = linear
>> comm_grps                 = system
>> refcoord_scaling           = com
>> nstlist                          = 0
>> ns-type                        = simple
>> pbc                            = no
>> cutoff-scheme              = group
>> rcoulomb                = 0
>> rvdw                      = 0
>> rvdw_switch            = 0
>> rlist                         = 0
>> continuation            = yes
>>
>> It seems to work fine, at least because grompp do not complain and it
>> gives
>> me the desired files.
>>
>> There is one problem:
>> Looking at the Potential Energy which zero-step md for angle = 120 gives
>> me
>> a value of 384.682 KJ/mol (ca. 91 Kcal/mol) which is almost 20 times the
> [...]

*Rewards work better than punishment ...*