[gmx-users] velocity generation in Gromacs 2016

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 24 16:49:16 CET 2017

On 1/24/17 10:42 AM, Kukol, Andreas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I always used to generate velocities for an MD run in the equilibation step by setting
> gen-vel    yes
> in the mdp-file. In the sample mdp-file for Gromac 2016, this option is not set. Does it mean velocities are now generated by default ?
>
> http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2016.1/user-guide/file-formats.html#mdp
>
> The reason behind my question is, I actually forgot to set it and the MD-simulation seemed to run normally.

The default is to not generate velocities, which has been the default for many
years.

http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2016.1/user-guide/mdp-options.html#velocity-generation

So your simulation will start out at 0 K and the thermostat will try to bring it
up to the correct temperature, unless the input coordinate file has velocities
(e.g. in a .gro file).  You can confirm what happened in the .log file, where
the initial temperature is printed.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629