[gmx-users] Cyclic Peptide Construction using pdb2gmx issue

Sarah McCartan sarah.mccartan at ucdconnect.ie
Thu Jan 26 18:42:31 CET 2017

Hi,

I am having an issue building CsA cyclic peptide. It is an 11 residue
peptide with 90 atoms.
I am using the GROMOS 43a2 ff with SPC water model.

I have updated the specbond.dat file with the following:

ALA    C    1    DAL    N    1    0.133    ALA    DAL

I have ensured it is 1 chain in the pdb file and gromacs is identifying the
bond between ALA and DAL but I still get the dangling bond error when I
select NONE for both my termini.

Do I need to modify any other files or amend any inputs?

See screen below for output from pdb2gmx:

Command line:
  gmx pdb2gmx -f csa_start.pdb -o csa_proc.gro -p topol.top -water spce
-missing -ter -ff gromos43a2

Force field 'gromos43a2' occurs in 2 places. pdb2gmx is using the one in the
current directory. Use interactive selection (not the -ff option) if
you would prefer a different one.

Using the Gromos43a2 force field in directory ./gromos43a2.ff

Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/aminoacids.r2b
Reading csa_start.pdb...
Read 90 atoms
Analyzing pdb file
Splitting chemical chains based on TER records or chain id changing.
There are 1 chains and 0 blocks of water and 11 residues with 90 atoms

  chain  #res #atoms
  1 'X'    11     90

All occupancy fields zero. This is probably not an X-Ray structure
Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/atomtypes.atp
Atomtype 50
Reading residue database... (gromos43a2)
Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/aminoacids.rtp
Residue 96
Sorting it all out...
Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/aminoacids.hdb
Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/aminoacids.n.tdb
Opening force field file ./gromos43a2.ff/aminoacids.c.tdb
Processing chain 1 'X' (90 atoms, 11 residues)
Identified residue DAL1 as a starting terminus.
Identified residue ALA11 as a ending terminus.
10 out of 10 lines of specbond.dat converted successfully
Special Atom Distance matrix:
                    DAL1
                      N1
   ALA11     C89   0.133
Linking DAL-1 N-1 and ALA-11 C-89...
Select start terminus type for DAL-1
 0: NH3+
 1: NH2
 2: None
2
Start terminus DAL-1: None
Select end terminus type for ALA-11
 0: COO-
 1: COOH
 2: None
2
End terminus ALA-11: None

Program gmx pdb2gmx, VERSION 5.1.2
Source code file:
/build/gromacs-z6bPBg/gromacs-5.1.2/src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/pdb2top.cpp,
line: 1088

Fatal error:
There is a dangling bond at at least one of the terminal ends. Fix your
coordinate file, add a new terminal database entry (.tdb), or select the
proper existing terminal entry.

If you need any other information please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards

Sarah