[gmx-users] domain decomposition problems

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jan 29 15:18:42 CET 2017

On 1/29/17 4:33 AM, Albert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run MD simulation for a system:
>

> box size: 105.166 x 105.166 x 105.166
> atoms: 114K
> FF: Amber99SB
>
> I submitted the job with command line:
>
> srun -n 1 gmx_mpi grompp -f mdp/01-em.mdp -o 60.tpr -n -c ion.pdb
> srun -n 12 gmx_mpi mdrun -s 60.tpr -v -g 60.log -c 60.gro -x 60.xtc
>
> but it always failed with messages:
>
> There is no domain decomposition for 12 ranks that is compatible with the given
> box and a minimum cell size of 4.99678 nm
> Change the number of ranks or mdrun option -rdd
> Look in the log file for details on the domain decomposition
>

> I google it, and the answer for above problem is that the system is too small to
> use a large number of CPU. However, I don't think 12 CPU is too big for my
> system which contains 114 K atoms in all.
>

> Does anybody have other suggestions?

Check the information in the .log file for the DD setup.  Your cell size is
pretty large, which suggests long-range interactions that are limiting to the DD
cell size, usually due to some kind of long distance restraints or otherwise
unconventional interactions (explicit pairs/exclusions in a free energy
calculation, etc.)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629