[gmx-users] 5' Phosphate (5PHO) patch for RNA in CHARMM36 forcefield - Gromacs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 5 14:52:23 CEST 2017

On 7/4/17 12:31 AM, SOMNATH JAN wrote:
> Dear Users,
> I am trying to run a MD simulation in Gromacs using CHARMM36 forcefield for
> a RNA that has phosphate (P, OP1, OP2, OP3) on 5' .
> As the charmm36 forcefield doesn't recognize the phosphate atom (OP3) on 5'
> of RNA, pdb2gmx is giving an error.
> And so I want to add a 5'terminal PHOSPHATE patch (5PHO) in charmm36
> forcefield. Parameters for 5PHO are available in CHARMM force field files
> in internet (top_all36_na.rtf - PRES 5PHO), but the charge units of atoms
> and the way of entry is completely different for CHARMM and Gromacs. So how
> will I make a new entry of 5PHO in Charmm36 by taking the parameters from
> CHARMM force field files?
>
> Another thing, there is no 'rna.n.tdb' file available for Charmm36 force
> field, so where will I make the new entry of 5PHO?

You'll put it in merged.n.tdb - our port doesn't make a distinction between
termini types (amino acids, DNA, RNA, etc).  It's a limitation of how we
generate the files.

The information is almost identical to what one finds in the GROMACS files -
atom names, types, and charges.  You'll just have two blocks, [add] and [replace].

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore