[gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Acetonitrile with CHARMM ff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 5 23:47:17 CEST 2017

On 7/5/17 10:47 AM, Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura wrote:
>> On 7/5/17 5:15 AM, Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura wrote:
>>> Dear GROMACS users,
>>>
>>> I am currently interested in studying properties of some solvents, among
>>> them acetonitrile and isopropanol. I would like to use CHARMM force field
>>> for compatibility with other molecules and I am taking my initial
>>> structure files from virtualchemistry.org. Does someone know how to run
>>> the 6-sites model available with the CHARMM ff in gromacs? As I try to run
>>> the simulation box I get the error "No Defaul Proper Dih. Types". I
>>> checked the ffbonded file and I didn't see the dihedrals defined as in the
>>> rtp file. And for what I've understood this is
>>
>> Dihedrals aren't required in .rtp files since pdb2gmx generates them.
>

> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for the comments. Yes, sorry, I was referring to the top file generated by pdb2gmx instead of the rtp file. The top file has the dihedrals defined whereas ffbonded files does not.
>

>> because acetonitrile is a linear molecule and dihedrals for three colinear
>> atoms
>> this are mathematically
>>
>> There are still H-C-C-N dihedral terms.
>

> Yes, they are named in the top file but not really defined in the ffbonded file, which is why I get the error.

pdb2gmx will blindly generate all possible dihedrals; sometimes this isn't right.

It even appears that such parameters (H-C-C-N) do not exist in any CHARMM force
field file.  Perhaps it's meant that way, but I have never tried to simulate
anything with it.

>> undefined. Also, when I go to check the available itp for acetonitrile in
>> virtualchemistry.org, I can see that there is a 7-sites model,with a dummy
>> atom
>> included. However, for this case, pdb and itp files do not match. I have seen
>> that this can be sort of solved by fixing the angle as 179.9, but I really
>> don't
>> exactly what to change
>>>     or where in the force field files. I have no experience modifying force
>>>     fields. Also, I've seen that for
>>
>> Don't modify the force field.  The CHARMM parameters for acetonitrile were
>> generated in CHARMM, which can handle linear angles without the tricks that
>> GROMACS requires with virtual sites.
>

> So, what you are saying is that it is not possible to simulate the 6-sites model of acetonitrile in GROMACS using CHARMM?

Never tried it.  AFAIK, GROMACS needs special treatment for linear species.
Hopefully someone who has actually done such a simulation will say something,
because my usefulness here is at its end :)

-Justin

>> the opls ff both pdb and itp files match, but I really need to use the CHARMM
>> force field. Are the opls parameters compatible with CHARMM? Any advice?
>>>

>> Don't mix and match force fields.
>

> Then, if I cannot run the 6-sites model, what's the advice? I would really need to run acetonitrile with CHARMM, because I have other series of molecules such as cellulose and other saccharides. In that case, what would be the most compatible for field to simulate organic solvents and saccharides?
>

>>> Also, I cannot find an already optimized structure with all hydrogens for
>>> isopropanol. Could somenone provide one?
>>
>> Take any valine side chain and use it.  You can generate any missing H easily
>> with a suitable .hdb entry.
>>
>> -Justin
>
> Thank you for your advice,
>
> Sonia Aguilera