[gmx-users] Acetonitrile with CHARMM ff

Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura sonia-milena.aguilera-segura at enscm.fr
Thu Jul 6 12:34:29 CEST 2017

Dear Justin,

Thank you for your reply. I went trough the CHARMM forum and I found this post of 2007,
https://www.charmm.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=28545, which basically underlines the same issues I am having. I read this post before posting here, and this why I came with the idea of modifying the dihedral ff parameters, as suggested in the forum. Apparently, it may work if I set the amplitude k=0 and I distort the linear angle a little (maybe 179.9) in the initial structure. The thing is, as I say before, I have no experience modifying force fields, so I wouldn't what to put and where. My guess is that I would need to go the ffbonded.itp file and modify and add the following lines in this way:

[ angletypes ]
;      i        j        k  func       theta0       ktheta          ub0          kub
CG331    CG1N1    NG1T1     5   179.900000   177.401600   0.00000000         0.00

[ dihedraltypes ]
;      i        j        k        l  func         phi0         kphi  mult
     HGA3     CG331    CG1N1  NG1T1     9     0.000000     0.000000     1

[ dihedraltypes ]
; 'improper' dihedrals
;      i        j        k        l  func         phi0         kphi
     HGA3     CG331    CG1N1  NG1T1     9     0.000000     0.000000     1

Please let me know if this makes any sense. Is it correct to modify the angletype or should I only modify the initial structure?

Is there someone who has already done simulations with acetonitrile? Any advice and feedback is very much welcome!!

Thank you very much,

Have a nice day,

Sonia Aguilera
PhD Student