[gmx-users] Acetonitrile using CHARMM ff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 11 18:57:16 CEST 2017

On 7/10/17 10:52 AM, Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for the answer. I changed the two parameters suggested in the mdp file and I ran again a minimization, 200 ps NVT, 200 ps NPT, and 1 ns MD for the two cases of the previous mail, and now I am getting densities around 771 g/m3 which is slightly underestimated, but close to what other authors have obtained (774 others and 777 experimental). Also, I got slightly higher values for dielectric constants and diffusivities, also closer to another simulation with CHARMM. The energies also changed, but I guess that was expected. It looks like reproducing the dielectric constant with the current parameters is not possible. Is there anything that can be changed in order to get a better description? In terms of simulation, what is the dielectric constant depending of?

Structure, charge distribution, etc.  This may just be a limitation of an
additive force field model.  We typically see neat liquid properties better
reproduced with polarizable models.

> Moreover, I observed that this time I got lower values for P during the NPT equilibration, but still is too far from 1 bar.  I really don't understand why for the NVT simulation I get a T around 298, but as soon as I turn on the pcoupl, the T rises to 300-301 K and the P gets average values of 7 and 4 bar (vs 8 and 14 for the previous simulations). Then at the end of the 1-ns MD the temperature remains around 301 and the P is -1 and 2.7 bar. Considering the parameters I am using, is there anything I can change to make the P coupling better? I am running a 3 nm box with 308 molecules. This is the full mdp file:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

Your box is very small and will be subject to large fluctuations.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629