[gmx-users] 1st CfP: From Virtual Reality to Immersive Analytics in Bioinformatics (SD&A 2018)
bjoern at CELLmicrocosmos.org
Mon Jul 17 18:31:15 CEST 2017
1st CfP "From Virtual Reality to Immersive Analytics in Bioinformatics"
February 2018, Burlingame, California, USA
Special Session at the Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIX,
Special Issue of the Journal of Integrative Bioinformatics, vol 15, de
Bioinformatics usually deals with the smallest entities of life,
therefore, visualization plays an important role in this field.
Stereoscopic rendering has already been used for a long time for
visualizing biological structures, dating back to the first hype of
virtual reality technologies 25 years ago when the CAVE was invented and
Head-Mounted Displays (HMD) became affordable. Triggered by the success
of new, modern HMDs such as Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, Virtual Reality
has recently gained a lot of attention again. On the other hand, a new
generation of large-scale "computational microscopes" is being
established, such as the CAVE2, representing large, nearly 360
degree-spanning visualization facilities.
At the same time, advanced "Visual Analytics" solutions have become an
important tool in all areas of scientific data analysis, combining
visualization, data mining and analysis methods, and user interaction.
Uniting both VR and VA, "Immersive Analytics" now starts to make use of
new technologies, immersing the scientist into the data, and, in the
best case, enabling advanced insights.
This special issue will focus on:
- What is the legacy of the past?
- Which approaches (partly) failed, and which success stories were
by Virtual/Augmented Reality in the context of Bioinformatics?
- Which new ideas exist to approach now immersive analysis of biological
- Which methods, technologies and/or applications are expected to change
the way we see and perceive biology?
Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIX, 28 Jan - 1 Feb 2018,
Since 1990, SD&A focuses on developments covering the entire
stereoscopic 3D imaging pipeline from capture, processing, and display,
to perception. SD&A XXIX will be held as part of the 2018 IS&T
International Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology at
the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport, Burlingame, California, USA.
The conference brings together practitioners and researchers from
industry and academia to facilitate an exchange of current information
on stereoscopic imaging topics.
Scope of the Special Session
Molecular biology produces huge amounts of data in the post-genomic era.
This includes data describing metabolic mechanisms and pathways,
structural genomic organization, patterns of regulatory regions;
proteomics, transcriptomics, and metabolomics. On the one hand, analysis
of this data uses essentially the methods and concepts of computer
science; on the other hand, the range of biological tasks solved by
researchers determines the range and scope of the data. Integrative
Bioinformatics is a new area of research using the tools of computer
science and electronic infrastructure applied to Biotechnology.
We solicit submissions that describe the use of Immersive Analytics for
data analysis in biology and Bioinformatics – potential topics include
(but are not limited to):
- Virtual and Augmented Reality approaches for data analysis
- Semi- and fully immersive data exploration
- Metabolic and Regulatory Network Modelling and Simulation
- Data Integration and Text Mining Approaches
- Signal Pathways and Cell Control
- Network Analysis
- Medical Informatics, Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- Integrative whole cell and molecular modelling
- Visual Analytics, Visualization, and Animation
- August 15, 2017: Abstract to SD&A 2018
- January 10, 2018: Full manuscript submission due to JIB
- February 1, 2018: Conference Presentation
- April 2018: Review and revision process finished
- May to June 2018: Publication of accepted papers
Organizers and Contact
- Bjorn Sommer, University of Konstanz, Konstanz/Monash University,
- Marc Baaden, Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
- Michael Krone, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart
- Andrew Woods, Curtin University, Perth
If you have any question, please contact us:
VR2IAinBioInf at immersive-analytics.org
Journal of Integrative Bionformatics
The Journal of Integrative Bioinformatics (JIB) is an international open
access journal publishing original peer-reviewed research articles
covering all aspects of integrative bioinformatics. It was established
in 2004 and joined the Open Access family of de Gruyter – one of the
oldest German publishers – in 2017. JIB (ISSN 1613-4516) is indexed by
PubMed, DBLP Computer Science Bibliography, SCOPUS and Google Scholar.
For 2017 and 2018 there is no publication fee for articles accepted and
published by JIB!
Only submit your 500-word abstract to the conference (Deadline: August
15, 2017), use option 2 – presentation only), as the full paper has to
be submitted to the Journal of Integrative Bioinformatics in the next
step (Deadline: January 10, 2018).
Please follow the SD&A guidelines for writing the abstract:
Please submit here your full paper (Deadline: January 10, 2018).
More info and templates you will find here:
Each paper submitted to this special issue will be rigorously evaluated
in a single-blind peer review process. All accepted papers will appear
in a special issue of the Journal of Integrative Bioinformatics (JIB).
By submitting a paper, the author(s) agree that, if their paper is
accepted, they will:
- Submit a final, camera-ready version to the publisher on or before the
camera ready deadline.
- Register at least one author to attend the conference on or before the
- Attend the conference (at least one author).
- Present the accepted paper at the conference.
More information about the gromacs.org_gmx-users