[gmx-users] Equilibration of Lipid Bilayers created through charmm-gui

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 19 03:08:50 CEST 2017

On 7/17/17 2:14 PM, Nidhin Thomas wrote:
> Hello  everyone,
>
> I have created an 'alpha-helix protein embedded in a lipid bilayer’ system using charmm-gui.
>
> I used the mdp files provided by charmm-gui directly without changing the number of steps or constraints for equilibration. I ran final simulation for 200 ns without any constraints and obtained a system in which there was no water penetration into the bilayer.

I'm assuming you mean restraints?  You certainly should be using constraints.

> I compared my results against a research paper and I see water penetration into the bilayer for that system. They didn’t use charm-gui for modeling and they had frozen the protein during the initial equilibration compared to my system.

Freezing is a very severe and artificial perturbation.  It's entirely possible
that water leaked in as an artifact of having an immobile protein.

> Should we always freeze the protein during the initial equilibration time and let lipids settle before starting the equilibration with constraints to protein?

Not necessarily.  I rarely find freezing necessary or appropriate.

> When I used the mdp files obtained from charmm-gui directly, I checked the RMSD values of the protein and it’s within 3 Angstrom which I think is within the acceptable range. Also average protein tilt within the lipids is also constant. Could you please tell me what else I can check to confirm if my system is fully equilibrated ?

Check convergence by looking at the time-dependence of any relevant property.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore