[gmx-users] Ethanol energies with CHARMM ff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 19 03:16:46 CEST 2017

On 7/18/17 1:28 PM, Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I am running a 4 nm box of ethanol and once I finished the MD, I got the right T, P, density. However, I noticed that my energies are odd. After several trials with different parameters and box sizes I am getting a Total Energy between -1.2 to 0.6 KJ/mol (already normalizaed, Total energy/#molecules). I checked the potential energy at the end of minimization and this was around -65 kJ/mol. Then, I observed that during NVT equilibration my potential energy decreased to a value around -33 kJ/mol with a kinetic energy also around the same value (33 kJ/mol), and that's why my final total energies and, therefore, enthalpies are giving values around 0. I ran

I don't understand how you're calculating your enthalpies.  The kinetic energy
is irrelevant because it should cancel between the gas and liquid phases for a
given temperature, so the dHvap value is <U_liq>/N + <U_gas> + RT

also simulations with water, isopropanol, and acetonitrile and I am getting
values of -52, -206, and-48, which seem reasonable to me. My paremeters have
been already discussed in a previous mail (please see acetonitrile

Reasonable based on...?

-Justin

with CHARMM ff), and they seem to be right to be used with CHARMM ff. I am using
version 2016.3 (I did the sa
>   me in 5.1.2), sd integrator, Berendsen barostat for equilibration and P-R for MD production. Any ideas of what should I look for or what can I be doing wrong?
>
> Thank you very much!!!,
>
> Sonia Aguilera
> PhD student
> ENSCM