[gmx-users] Damping for pulled group

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 19 03:17:48 CEST 2017

On 7/18/17 4:44 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is more of a question about where I should make a suggestion for the
> developers. It turns out that Gromacs pull code was designed nearly
> perfectly to do simulated friction force microscopy (FFM), i.e. scanning a
> surface with a tip. The only thing that's missing is that the equation of
> motion for the pulled group's COM does not contain an artificial damping
> term and the group is free to oscillate, which is a common occurrence in
> underdamped situations even experimentally. For pulling in systems GMX was
> designed for, the lack of additional damping makes perfect sense for things
> that are immersed in solvents (which would readily provide any damping),
> but most simulated FFM is in vacuum. Options other than umbrella are
> physically flawed, unfortunately.
>
> Would it had to add a damping term for the umbrella and where should I post
> this request for the developers?

Code issues can be discussed on the gmx-developers mailing list.  Feature
requests can be made on redmine.gromacs.org.  The best case is to file the
feature request, take it on yourself, and discuss any issues on gmx-developers :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore