[gmx-users] nitrogen itp file with virtual site

Ali Ahmed aa5635737 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:48:12 CEST 2017

Dear Justin
I have checked and tried but still not working, it says ( invalid order for
directive atomtypes). Please can you take a look on the following
Here is the topology file

;virtual sites have zero mass which leads to zero Moment of inertia

;virual sites have charge only 0.482 e. to balance the nitrogen atom
negative charge -0.482 e.

;the distance between two nitrogn atoms is 0.11 nm

;the distance between two virtual sites is 0.15 nm

;the distance between nitrogen atom and virtual site is 0.02 nm. This makes
the virtual site attached to the nitrogen atom

[ atomtypes ]

;name bond_type mass   charge  ptype    sigma   epsilon

N             N             0.000      0.000      A             0.332
0.3026

M            M            0.000      0.000      V              0.000
0.000 ;

[ moleculetype ]

; name  nrexcl

N_2       2

[ atoms ]

;   nr       type    resnr residue atom   cgnr    charge       mass
typeB    chargeB      massB

     1         N       1    N_2     N1      1    -0.482        14.0067

     2         N       1    N_2     N2      1    -0.482        14.0067

     3         M       1    N_2     M1      1     0.482        0.0000  ; MN
is the virtual site

     4         M       1    N_2     M2      1     0.482        0.0000

[ constraints ]

; There are no bonds in this system

; Instead, we fix the distance between the mass centers such that

; the virtual sites can be reconstructed

    1   2   1   0.11

[ system ]

Nitrogen  in vacuo

[ molecules ]

N_2     1000

here is the pdb file

TITLE     N_2 with dummy masses

REMARK    THIS IS A SIMULATION BOX

CRYST1   50.000   50.000   50.000  90.00  90.00  90.00 P 1           1

MODEL        1

ATOM      1  N1  N_2     1       0.000   0.000   0.000  1.00  0.00

ATOM      2  N2  N_2     1       1.100   0.000   0.000  1.00  0.00

ATOM      3  M1  N_2     1       0.200   0.000   0.000  1.00  0.00

ATOM      4  M2  N_2     1       0.900   0.000   0.000  1.00  0.00

TER

ENDMDL

-----------

Thank you

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 7/17/17 3:39 PM, Ali Ahmed wrote:
>
>> Dear Justin
>>
>> Here is the topology file I wrote. I included all the parameters rather
>> than use a specific FF.
>>
>> Thank you for your support
>>
>> ..

>> ; virtual sites have zero mass which leads to zero Moment of inertia
>>
>> ;virual sites have charge only 0.482 e. to balance the nitrogen atom
>> negative charge -0.482 e.
>>
>> ; the distance between two nitrogn atoms N--N is 0.11 nm
>>
>> ;the distance between two virtual sites is 0.15 nm
>>
>> ;the distance between nitrogen atom and virtual site is 0.02 nm. This
>> makes
>> the virtual site attached to the nitrogen atom
>>
>> ;
>>
>> [ atomtypes ]
>>
>> ; name  bond_type    mass    charge   ptype          sigma      epsilon
>>
>>     N               N             0.000   0.000      A
>> 0.332      0.3026
>>
>>    MN               MN         0.000   0.000      A              0.000
>> 0.000        ; MN is the virtual sites
>>

> This is incorrect; the virtual site should be particle type V, not A.
>

>> [ moleculetype ]
>>
>> ; name  nrexcl
>>
>> N_2       2
>>

>> [ atoms ]
>>
>> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass
>> typeB    chargeB      massB
>>
>>       1         N       1    N_2     N1              1    -0.482
>> 14.0067
>>
>>       2         N       1    N_2     N2              1    -0.482
>> 14.0067
>>
>>       3        MN       1    N_2     M1            1     0.482
>> 0.0000
>>
>>       4        MN       1    N_2     M2             1     0.482
>> 0.0000
>>

>> [ constraints ]
>>
>> ; There are no bonds in this system
>>
>> ; Instead, we fix the distance between the mass centers such that
>>
>> ; the virtual sites can be reconstructed
>>
>>      3   4   1   0.15
>>

> This is why your system is failing.  You're defining a constraint between
> the virtual sites and no bonded interaction at all between the N atoms.  If
> the N-N bond is to be constant at 0.11 nm, then set it as a constraint
> (between atoms 1 and 2) and construct the virtual sites based on the real
> atoms in the system.
>
> -Justin
>

> [ system ]
>>
>> CO2 in vacuo
>>

>> [ molecules ]
>>
>> N_2     30
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 7/17/17 12:31 PM, Ali Ahmed wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Justin

>>> topology
>>> problem.  Please post the exact text of your .itp file.  It should be