[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling and PMF calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 2 23:29:59 CEST 2017

On 6/2/17 4:17 PM, Alex wrote:
> So, Justin, just to follow up here. With 'cylinder', grompp refuses to
> accept a zero pulling rate. This begs a different question: in my

I find that surprising.  Please provide the full, exact error and your pull
settings.  All of the geometries should work with zero or non-zero pull rates.
But I admit, it has been many years since I used GROMACS with the pull code.

> particular system, the COM position coincides with the center of the single
> reactive pore at the geometric center of the membrane. Why even bother with
> this setup? I'd understand if the entire membrane was reactive, but it
> isn't. Also, the obtained free energy value is very close to what one gets
> by simply integrating the pullf data wrt pull coordinate, which makes
> perfect sense. Any comments/suggestions?

You might get some windows that conveniently work with "simpler" settings but I
still think you need to do what I said before.  Old GROMACS versions had a
"position" geometry that was the go-to for membrane/slab/layered systems and
worked quite nicely, but that's gone now, replaced by other options that I've
never used.

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Alex <nedomacho at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Yes, because if your ion diffuses laterally (or whatever constitutes your
>>> "hole"), then you're not sampling what you think you're sampling.  That's
>>> what the cylinder geometry is for.  You have a system capable of
>>> significant lateral movement, so if you fail to apply a bias that acts in
>>> the x-y plane, your results are very quickly going to become garbage.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> Of course. I actually realized that you used COM distance and not e.g.
>> direction-periodic (which won't accept zero pulling rates anyway) only
>> after I asked.
>> Specifying somewhat awkward structures like disks as references could be
>> avoided by simply allowing a component of the COM distance vector and not
>> the entire vector) to be used. Anyway, doesn't really matter.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy