[gmx-users] Calculation of nematic order parameter using gromacs

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Sat Jun 3 16:19:32 CEST 2017

Nidhi,

you need some background reading on the specifics of your problem/system
(including order parameters for liquid crystals and other orderly systems)
before you can do a meaningful modeling and that is up to you (it is your
research problem, not ours)

as I told you, the director makes sense only when you define that there is
some sort of anisotropy in your system, either raised by an external field
or by an interface. If you don't have any fields or interfaces (e.g. a free
protein tumbling in an aqueous solution) then any direction is equally
probable and a long enough simulation would average out to zero any order
parameter with respect to any arbitrarily chosen director (which is one of
the ways you may define what an isotropic solution is)

Andre