[gmx-users] RMSD analysis

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 7 13:59:13 CEST 2017

On 6/6/17 4:01 PM, RAHUL SURESH wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> I think I have confused so much.
> Let me try to put it in simple way.
>
> 1.Can I compare Rmsd , rg , rmsf of protein-ligand complex with that of
> monomer(just protein) to explain stability?

RMSD may be an indicator of something going on but by itself is useless.

Rg is only useful if the protein undergoes a large structural change or unfolding.

RMSF can be useful if the ensembles are converged; it is subject to big
variation if you have any non-equilibrium sampling.

> 2. Time step of monomer(just protein) simulation is 150ns and
> protein-ligand complex is 50ns. In this case is it valid to compare the
> above analyses between monomer and complex?

Compare like with like.  I wouldn't believe comparisons between single
trajectories of differing lengths have any meaning.

-Justin