[gmx-users] gmx insert-molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 7 22:08:07 CEST 2017

Please do not reply to the whole digest.

On 6/7/17 2:46 PM, Shi Li wrote:

>> On 6/7/17 1:20 PM, Li, Shi wrote:
>>> Dear GMX users,
>>>
>>> I have a pure solvent system A with 100 molecules. Then I randomly removed
>>> 10 molecules out of the box, but keep the box size. Now I want to do a gmx
>>> insert-molecule to insert 10 molecule B into the system box. The problem is
>>> molecule B is slightly larger than molecule A. So in some cases, I couldn't
>>> insert the exact 10 molecules of B into the system. Is there a way to
>>> automatically adjust the size of the box according to the radius of
>>> molecule B, so that they can fit in? Or, is there a better solution to do
>>> this?
>>>

>> Insert 10 of molecule B into an empty box, then solvate with a pre-equilibrated
>> box of molecule A.  Works every time.
>>
>> -Justin
>
> Thank you Justin,
>
> In this case, I will need to apply a full equilibrium process (em, nvt, npt) to the new system, is that right?
>
> I am trying to avoid the long step of equilibrium as I have many systems corresponding to different concentrations. I was thinking if I replace a small number of molecule A with molecule B (the system A is very large and pre-equilibriumed) then I only need to apply a short time-step of NPT in order to let the system expand or shrink. Then I can use the new system to continue replacing A with B to generate a new concentration. Is this practical?
>
> The problem is when B is slightly larger than A, I can’t insert the same number of B into the system. Is there way to avoid the overlapping or force the molecule in?
You can reduce the vdW radius of atoms to *try* to force the molecules to fit,
but then all you've done is introduce bad clashes that have to be subjected to
minimization and re-equilibration.  So at that point, all you've done is build
your system in the most inefficient way possible.  By trying to avoid
equilibration, you've necessitated it :)

Build the system the robust way - solute first, then solvent.  It's ultimately
less work and less prone to failure.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629