[gmx-users] Remove all but N closest water molecules from protein

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:59:00 CEST 2017

Hi,

No. gmx select will write index groups that could implement a dynamic
selection, but trjconv can't do anything sensible with it. You'd have to
split the trajectory into a file per frame and match the index group to the
file to get the selection into a new file. Even if trjconv was smart
enough, you'd also need to use a trajectory format and downstream tools
that were about to be flexible about the number of atoms (which is
typically not the case)... In principle, our TNG format is able to be
flexible, but there's a lot of infrastructure work if people would actually
write such files and expect to read them and have everything work well.
Better to work on tools that can use the dynamic selection without needing
to serialize and de-serialize files (and the new GROMACS analysis framework
has such support, but we don't have much funding for implementing / porting
tools to it).

Mark