[gmx-users] gmx insert-molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 8 15:18:11 CEST 2017

On 6/8/17 9:15 AM, Shi Li wrote:

>>> Sorry about the inconvenience, I am not very familiar with the process. Hope this is right now.

>>> I would like to solvate the box too, it is indeed less effort. In our approach, we want to have a box with a fixed number of A+B, that?s why we want to manually replace certain number of A with B, so that we still maintain the same total number of molecules but create different concentration. If I solvate the box with A, then the number of molecule A goes into the box will not be the number we want it to be. Is there ways to define the number of solvent when we do the gmx solvate?
>>>

>> Yes, that is exactly what -maxsol does.
>
> Thank you!
>
> But that’s the maximum number of solvent to add into the box, right? Can I solvate the box with a fixed number of solvent molecule? If the size of the box is a little small, will it automatically adjust the box size to insure the right number of solvent can go in?

No, you have to make sure the box is large enough.  Box adjustment is a dynamics
process, not anything that the preparation tools do.  So either gmx
insert-moleucles for both A and B, or gmx solvate for A with -maxsol.  Either
way, you need to know the per-molecule volume to create a reasonably sized box.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore