[gmx-users] (Newbie) Residue SiO2 for solvation?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jun 11 03:34:29 CEST 2017

On 6/10/17 7:03 PM, Jose Borreguero wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I want to encase this mildly hydrated protein
> <http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/jmborr/confinedBSA/blob/master/simulation/monomer/solvatedBSA/minimize/relax/stripped_system_h0.17.gif>
> within an amorphous silica cube, so I thought of using gmx solvate. Thus, I
> need a residue for the SiO2 molecule. The OPLS force field includes
> non-bonded parameters for SI atom, but no SiO2 "residue".
>
> Has anyone gone through this particular problem? Or can anyone give me some
> pointer as to how create a custom residue starting from, say, a PDB file of
> the molecule, and then the steps to "merge" this residue with the rest of
> the OPLS force-field?

The coordinates don't tell you anything about the topology.  OPLS-AA
parametrization would require an initial QM optimization and calculation of a
charge distribution, followed by whatever evaluation of condensed-phase
properties that you can find for that molecule.  Parametrization is inherently
an advanced topic.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629