[gmx-users] Periodic Cell of Cyclohexane--LINCS Warnings

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 13:04:00 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM Billy Williams-Noonan <
billy.williams-noonan at monash.edu> wrote:

> Also, the topology for the cyclohexane comes from the ATB and looks very
> reasonable.
>
> On 12 June 2017 at 20:25, Billy Williams-Noonan <
> billy.williams-noonan at monash.edu> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply, Mark (Professor Abraham?)
> >
> > "Looks like some of the integration setups are more stable than others.
> > What
> > is the volume doing during these runs? What does P-R 2fs do after a stage
> > of P-R 1fs?"
> >
> > P-R is Parrinello-Rahman? 10 ns equilibration ends without any signs of
> > problems with the 1 fs timestep.  I then took the gro file from that
> > equilibration

Side issue, not related to your problem - use gmx grompp -t state.cpt to
get the full-precision coordinates and box.

and re-equilibrated for 10 ns using P-R.  Did not last more
> > than 5 ns each time.  System is stable with Berendsen using a 2 fs
> > time-step.
> >
> > "It's normal to use tau-p around a factor of 10 larger for P-R than
> > Berendsen. They work in fundamentally different ways.
> >
> > I would also check whether your non-bonded scheme is consistent with
> > general practice for that forcefield in GROMACS (it may be, I just don't
> > know)."
> >
> > Thank you :)
> >
> > I guess my question is then, should my system be crashing using P-R with
> > 2 fs timestep and tau_p being 2 ps.  Increasing to 6 ps and leaving the
> > time-step constant at 2 ps seems to fix the problem.

P-R isn't stable with respect to volume changes (tends to start to
oscillate, leading to crazy forces, which breaks LINCS), which is why I
suggested you look at your volumes. Just picking a random length of time
isn't a good methodology ;-) When I use P-R, I choose time constants in the
range of 5-10 ps, but I don't know what happens when you choose a smaller
number and some aspect of the simulation can't tolerate that.

Mark