[gmx-users] Periodic Cell of Cyclohexane--LINCS Warnings

Billy Williams-Noonan billy.williams-noonan at monash.edu
Tue Jun 13 06:14:03 CEST 2017

"Side issue, not related to your problem - use gmx grompp -t state.cpt to
get the full-precision coordinates and box."

I used gmx energy to plot the box coordinates over time.  Using P-R with a
2 fs timestep and tau_p of 2 ps, the box shrinks to a certain point, and
then the system "blows up".  This can also be visualised in VMD.  There is
no such problem when increasing tau_p to 6 ps.  Thanks, I think I know what
the problem is.

"At minimum, your use of rvdw = 1.0 is incorrect.  It should be 1.4.  This
could be related to instability of systems dominated by vdW interactions."

Thank you, will set rvdw to 1.4 nm.  I initially assumed 1.0 nm would be
fine, as that is how I read the mdp settings page for Gromacs*:*

rvdw (1) <http://manual.gromacs.org/online/mdp_opt.html#nl>

When I found out that my rvdw was wrong, I noticed that many people seem to
be using the wrong value for the cut-offs and still getting published.  I
understand that the varying force-fields were optimised under different
conditions.  My system appears to be stable now with the current
parameters, but I will fix to make the long-term energetics more correct
anyway.

Cheers for the help,

Billy