[gmx-users] Technqiues for Applying Assymmetric Ion Concentrations?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:10:28 CEST 2017

On 6/12/17 10:47 PM, petar.zuvela wrote:
> Isn't it just easier to compute the number of ions ?
> It is basic chem and quite simple.
> N (atoms) = n / mol * Na / mol -1
> n / mol = c / mol dm-3 * V / dm3
>
> Here V is volume of the box, and c is concentration of either of the ions.
> After computing the number of ions, just add them to the box.
>
> No need for complicated things like making two water boxes.

It is if you wish to model ion asymmetry across the membrane.

To preserve that asymmetry, one would need semipermeable walls (e.g. flat-bottom
restraints) that work on the ions but not the water.  That confines the ions to
their given compartments.  But then, too, the two layers still interact via PBC
even if ions don't cross the boundary itself.

-Justin

> All the best,
> Petar Zuvela
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.