[gmx-users] genion -conc give the wrong number of multi-valent counter ion

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 16 13:21:31 CEST 2017

On 6/16/17 7:14 AM, Quyen V. Vu wrote:
> Dear GMX developer,
> I don't know this mailing list is suitable for posting issue or not, if
> not- forgive me.
>
> I want to report about gmx genion module
>
> If i want to add concentration of salt by -conc option, it just correct for
> monovalent salt (eg. NACL).
>
> For multivalent salt(MGCL2), if I use -pname MG -nname CL -conc X -neutral
> , it wil treat MG as monovanlent cation and give the wrong number of ions
> add into my system, so  I have to use -np and -nn option to get correct the
> number of ions.

If you set the correct value of -pq then you'll get the right result.  genion
defaults to assuming everything is monovalent and if that's not the case, you
have to provide correct instructions via the command line.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore