[gmx-users] Difference between output_coordinates.gro and trajectory.xtc coordinates

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 21 16:42:54 CEST 2017

On 6/21/17 7:11 AM, Diez Fernandez, Amanda wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am running a simulation and I find that the output coordinates of the simulation stored in “final_coordinates.gro” are distinctively different to any of the frames from “trajectory.gro” which I obtain from :
>
> trjconv –s file.tpr –f trajectory.xtc –o trajectory.gro
>
> When I visualise final_coordinates.gro they look wrong, when I visualise trajectory.gro frame by frame it looks correct.
>
> How can this be possible? Is it a common problem?

Please define what "wrong" and "correct" mean.  The raw trajectory from mdrun
does not have PBC-corrected frames, so things may be broken.  If you're done
reimaging with trjconv, you've changed the representation.  You can dump the
final coordinates from the .xtc, make molecules whole, and these should match
the final configuration written by mdrun.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore