[gmx-users] How to get the correct reference frame to run the rmsf?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 22 18:13:40 CEST 2017

On 6/22/17 12:09 PM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
> Dear Gromacs,
> I try to use this command to calculate RMSF:
>

> echo 3 | gmx rmsf -s md_0_1.tpr -f md_0_1_noPBC.xtc -o rmsf_20-30ns.xvg -oq bfac.pdb -res -b 20000 -e 30000
>

> My simulation lasts for 30 ns, but I only want RMSF for the last 10 ns. It is mandatory to assign a reference frame, so I use "md_0_1.tpr", which gives the frame at time 0 ns.

The structure in -s is only used as a reference for fitting if you supply the
-fit option, which you have not.  The only mandatory elements read from the .tpr
are the masses and connectivity/residue information.  RMSF is always computed
from the average structure in the analyzed time frame.

> However, I think I should use a frame which is a time-averaged position within 20-30 ns. Can I ask how to get this frame?

This is what the -ox option does.  It's not a reference frame, though, and the
coordinates are going to be unphysical.

> In addition, the command line outputs a PDB file. So what does this conformation represents, time 0, 20 or 30 ns?

Compare the coordinates with those snapshots and see :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore