[gmx-users] Exchange temperature instead of exchange coordinate in replica exchange molecular dynamics?

lan hoa Trinh trinhlanhoa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 17:16:48 CEST 2017

Hi all,
I am reading the paper "Replica-exchange molecular dynamics method for
protein folding" by Yuko Okamoto. In this paper, they exchange temperatures
of 2 replica. To evaluate that replica exchange is successful, they
calculate exchange probability; plot the temperature, potential energy per
replica versue time.
In Gromacs, coordinates of replica are exchanged instead. So besides
evaluating exchange probability, how do I know that the replica exchange is
sucessful? Since we exchange coordinate, one replica just stay at 1
temperature, so we will not see the result of the paper by Yuko, I mean,
one replica actually visit all the temperature. How about potential energy,
should I expect that one replica visit all range of potential energy when
we exchange coordinates of replica?
Also, is this bad if exchange probability too high, let's say 0.8?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
*Lan Hoa*