[gmx-users] By using the Gromacs to simulate Raman spectrum

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 21:08:11 CEST 2017

There's sort of no point in doing that, or, rather doing the simulations.
Given the type of interactions most of biophysics forcefields have
(harmonic springs), you can in fact calculate everything without any
simulations. That is, if you never use constrained bonds. If you do use
constrained bonds, your frequencies will approach infinity, because the
resulting bond stiffness is very high. A relatively decent way of doing
vibrational analysis for organics is with DFT, e.g. with Gaussian, which
has provisions for determining the frequencies. You probably will not be
able to actually plot Raman spectra, but instead you could simulate the
peaks observed in Raman spectra.

Alex