[gmx-users] MD at different pH

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 4 14:29:28 CEST 2017

On 5/4/17 1:02 AM, Anu George wrote:
> Through the simulation, I am trying to find out if the binding free energy of the drug-protein complex is strong enough for the drug to be a good inhibitor of the protein.
> so, does the pH of the simulation matter as in reality the active monomer exists in acidic pH conditions?

You have to model whatever the realistic conditions are, whether that's in vivo
or in vitro.  This is part of good experimental design.  If your target exists
in a mildly acidic microenvironment, that's what you should model.  Binding
thermodynamics do depend on protonation states (in some cases, quite strongly)
so if you model one state and try to relate it to data that exist in another,
you're comparing apples to oranges and you've wasted a lot of time and resources.

Also, dispel with the notion of "pH of the simulation" because such a thing does
not exist.  You'll be modeling a constant protonation state and there are no
dissociable protons floating around.  You're going to do a simulation using the
dominant protonation state of a given set of molecules at a corresponding
experimental pH.

-Justin

> Thanks
> Anu George