[gmx-users] Gromacs on Ubuntu 17.04

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Sat May 6 21:41:25 CEST 2017

Hi,

Firstly, please use the *official* GROMACS installation guide:
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2016.3/install-guide/index.html
Otherwise, if using "alternative" guides, please contact the authors of
those (and BTW this particular guide is outdated too).

As Åke correctly pointed out, this is not an issue with gcc support in
GROMACS, but an issue with the incompatibility of CUDA (including the
latest 8.0) with anything newer than gcc 5.

That's because NVIDIA does not provide updates for their CUDA toolkit
releases (unless you're a paying customer) and they block all compilers
they did not test  at the time of the CUDA toolkit; hence, nvcc will label
gcc 6 "unsupported".

The workaround is to install a previous version of gcc, Ubuntu Zesty should
have gcc 5 in the repositories. Make sure to pass the newly installed gcc
to cmake when configuring the GROAMCS build. For details see the above
linked install guide.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd