[gmx-users] pdb2gmx handle the dna structure containing potassium

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 10 19:46:16 CEST 2017

On 5/10/17 4:16 AM, Changdong LIU wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>

>  I used pdb2gmx to generate topology file for the g_quadruplex DNA which constains 3 potassiums.
>

>  If the 3 potassiums were deleted ,the pdb2gma successfully generated the topology file for DNA.
>

> But failed when the 3 potassiums were added into the pdb file. The topol.top is like:
>

> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/forcefield.itp"
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "topol_DNA_chain_C.itp"
> #include "topol_Ion_chain_D.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/spce.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>    1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include topology for ions
> #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/ions.itp"
>
> [ system ]
> ; Name
> ---
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> DNA_chain_C         1
> Ion_chain_D         1
>

> It seems that pdb2gmx could not recognize both dna and potassiums.
>
> As the potassium is necessary for the stability of the DNA g_quadruplex, would you please give any suggestions how to generated the topology file containing the ions?

Make sure you're using a decent force field, e.g. see extensive work by Sponer
and others about all the nasty defects in existing force fields for GQ
simulations.  Spoiler alert: none of them do a great job.  But an old AMBER FF
like AMBER99 is surely a poor choice.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629