[gmx-users] Calculation of dielectric constant

Saumyak Mukherjee mukherjee.saumyak50 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 07:50:14 CEST 2017

Dear users,

I am trying to calculate the dielectric constant of water within a certain
distance of protein.

For this I have generated an ordered trajectory using trjorder. Then I have
created an index group for an estimated number of water molecules (average
of the numbers in nshell.xvg generated from trjorder).

Thereafter, I have used the g_dipoles program along with the flag -eps to
get dielectric constant. But the results are incorrect, as I am expecting
the dielectric constant to be greater than 40 or so, but it is showing ~3.5.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Saumyak
--
*Saumyak Mukherjee*

Junior Research Fellow
Prof. Biman Bagchi's Group
Solid State and Structural Chemistry Unit
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012

Mob : 8017292426
Alternative e-mail : saumyakmukherjee at gmail.com