[gmx-users] ligand moving out during umbrella sampling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 11 17:33:40 CEST 2017

On 5/11/17 9:21 AM, abhisek Mondal wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM, abhisek Mondal <abhisek.mndl at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for the explanation. It really cleared some concepts. But I'm
>> still having my ligand moving in this step. I have modified the code as:
>> ; Pull code
>> pull                    = umbrella
>> pull_ngroups            = 1
>> pull_group0             = Protein_chain_A
>> pull_group1             = ACO
>> pull_geometry           = direction ; simple distance increase
>> pull_dim           = Y Y Y         ; not to allow ligand move along other
>> dir
>> pull_rate1         = 0.0
>> pull_k1           = 1000           ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>> pull_start       = yes           ; define initial COM distance > 0
>> pull_vec1               = 0 0 -1

Note that with "direction" geometry, only pull_vec1 is acting.  pull_dim is ignored.

>> The ligand was previously moving along x,y direction when I was using
>> pull_dim  = N N Y. So I changed it to Y in all direction and provided 0 as
>> vector  and pull_rate1=0.0, so that it does not move much. But at the end
>> of a 10ns run, I see that the ligand is still moving as it was earlier.
>>
> It shows me:
>  Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
>        0      1132    936665
>        1        59      1618  -1.555                -1.555
> Is it ok withe negative value ? Anyway this setup is not working.

Again you're trying to just apply the restraint to one dimension and it looks to
be fairly arbitrary.  I already suggested using the vector connecting the ligand
COM with the binding site residues' COM and using that as pull_vec1.  Draw it
out.  It makes a lot more sense than trying to restrain only along one axis,
which as I have said before, makes no sense in this case.

-Justin