[gmx-users] question about applying surface tension

Ali Shomali ali.shomali111 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:44:52 CEST 2017

Dear Justin thanks for the answer
I think the surface tension line was deleted in email by mistake , sorry
for that. I managed to perform other simulations for DMPC and DPPC . in all
of them I applied reported surface tensions ( twice the reported surface
tension per interface)  in all of them my area per lipid changes very
little and it's very confusing becuase I compared my mdp script with others
from internet , I'm sending my mdp options again (nstcomm is added):
title = NGT Equilibration for DPPC
; Run parameters
integrator = md ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps = 1000000 ; 1000 ps (1 ns)
dt    = 0.001 ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout = 10000 ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
nstvout = 10000 ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
nstenergy = 100 ; save energies every 0.2 ps
nstlog = 100 ; update log file every 0.2 ps

; Neighborsearching
ns_type = grid ; search neighboring grid cels
nstlist = 10    ; 10 fs
rlist = 1.2 ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb = 1.2 ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw = 1.2 ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype = PME ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order = 4    ; cubic interpolation

; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl = berendsen    ; More accurate thermostat
tc-grps =  DPPC SOL ; three coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t = 0.5 0.5      ; time constant, in ps
ref_t = 323 323        ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is on
pcoupl = berendsen    ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
tau_p = 5.0        ; time constant, in ps
ref_p = 0 1.0        ; reference pressure, x-y, z (in bar)
compressibility = 4.5e-5 4.5e-5 ; isothermal compressibility, bar^-1
pcoupltype = surface-tension     ;
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc    = xyz ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr = EnerPres ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel = no ; Velocity generation is off
; COM motion removal
; These options remove motion of the protein/bilayer relative to the
solvent/ions
nstcomm         = 100
comm-mode       = Linear
comm-grps       = system