[gmx-users] question about applying surface tension

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 15 14:14:04 CEST 2017

On 5/12/17 3:01 PM, Ali Shomali wrote:
> Dear Justin thanks for your answer
> actually I'm trying to reproduce other constant surface tension simulations
> of bilayers to make sure my method is right. they calculate area per lipid
> for different surface tensions from approximately 0 to 100 dyn/cm and that
> is why I've mdp files with different surface tension value . the thing that
> is confusing is that some papers have done simulation just for 2ns
>  doi:10.1021/jp048969n. and some other do the exact simulation in 50 ns
>  doi:10.1529/biophysj.105.065953.!

If you're trying to reproduce previous findings, do exactly what the authors did
in terms of force field, cutoffs, time, etc. and if the results do not match,
contact them to see what the reasons might be.  That's why corresponding authors
exist.  I wouldn't trust results of membranes that were simulated for only 2 ns.
  Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt that's enough time to equilibrate the
systems.

> is constant surface tension applicable with other pressure coupling methods?

No idea, never tried it.  But I assume so.

-Justin