[gmx-users] Doubts about g_lie and g_bar

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon May 15 15:55:57 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Varvdekar Bhagyesh Rajendra <
bhagyesh.varvdekar at research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have tried to find Delta G of Binding using g_lie and g_bar from the
> following systems (Protein+Ligand with ligand = chain B):
> PDB Ids: 1CDL, 1CKK, 1NIW, 2L7L, 2o60.
>
> I have encountered following 2 doubts while doing so:
>
> 1. This doubt may have been answered in the past threads but I couldn't
> find a precise answer for it. So, I would appreciate if this is answered
> here again in more details. I have used PME in the production runs of my
> systems for finding Delta G_Binding using g_lie. But many threads on
> Gromacs forum warn against it and advise to rerun the whole trajectory
> using Reaction field Zero, but the cutoff for this rerun is not clearly
> given. Some threads say a cutoff with large cutoff using RF-0 is necessary.
> Can anyone please answer as to what cutoff(Relative to the system) should
> be given while re-running the trajectory and what all changes have to be
> done in the original mdp file(which uses PME). Also, a brief explanation
> for the whole process for the need of the re-run would be beneficial.
> Following are the changes I made after studying the past threads:

> ;; With PME  ;;;                                     | ;; Re-Run without
> PME ;;
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  ; Neighborsearching                                 |  ; Neighborsearching
>   ns_type     = grid      ; search neighboring grid  |  ns_type     =
> grid      ; search neighboring grid cells
>   nstlist     = 5         ; 10 fs                    |  nstlist     = 5
>      ; 10 fs
>   rlist       = 0.9       ; short-range neighborlist |  rlist       = 1.2
>      ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (nm)
>   rcoulomb    = 0.9       ; short-range electrostatic|  rcoulomb    = 0.9
>      ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
>   rvdw        = 1.4       ; short-range van der Waals|  rvdw        = 1.4
>      ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> ; Electrostatics                                     | ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype     = PME                                | coulombtype  =
> Reaction-Field-zero
>                                                      | epsilon_rf      =  0

that the method was thought reasonable, and produced some kind of result.

2. Free Energy tutorials of Gromacs suggest using oriental restraints
> and/or distance restraints on protein-ligand systems for calculating Delta
> G_Binding using g_bar. But the exact details are not given on the website.
> One can see that in my systems the protein is fully surrounding the ligand
> except two entrances. So, I ask if distance and/or oriental constraint is
> necessary to keep from floating it away. If yes, can anyone suggest some
> simple ways for doing so in Gromacs. I found some research papers who
> employ gruesome techiques of finding the correct atoms to constraint in the
> ligand (for eg.Theoretical Study of the Binding Profile of the Allosteric
> Modulator NS-1738 with a Chimera Structure of the α 7 Nicotinic
> Acetylcholine Receptor).

The [intermolecular_interactions] directive introduced in recent GROMACS
versions is useful for such restraints, ie. when you want to refer to atoms
in different [moleculetypes], and can do so with global atom numbers.

Mark

I would be grateful if you could answer the above doubts.