[gmx-users] 1-4 interactions in CHARMM force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 16 16:09:59 CEST 2017

On 5/15/17 2:02 PM, Dawid das wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I would like to hear your advice on scaling 1,4-interactions for both
> classical and
> QM/MM molecular dynamics simulations. I am using CHARMM27 force field.
>
> Firstly,  for classical MD, according to this post
> https://www.charmm.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1048
>
> I should not rescale 1,4 iternactions, so if I use MDP options you suggest
> on
> Gromacs website I do not rescale them, right?

Right.  If you mess with 1-4 scaling, you invalidate the force field.  The
dihedrals are parametrized under the assumption that 1-4 interactions are at
full strength.  Dihedrals are correction factors for inaccuracies in the
additive nonbonded functional form and therefore are tied to the strength of the
1-4 interactions.  Some force fields "fudge" the 1-4 terms to compensate (in
part) for such errors.  CHARMM does not.

> Secondly, do you have any experience with QM/MM MD? Should I rescale the
> 1,4 interactions? I searched for that but found nothing. Perhaps I've
> missed a
> paper.

1-4 interactions are purely a construct of the empirical force field.  They are
not relevant to the QM subsystem because no such empirical model exists there,
it is QM.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629