[gmx-users] Problems install GROMACS 2016.3 on Ubuntu 17.04

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:13:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

Using a gcc version also entails linking to the standard library that comes
along with it, ie libstdc++.so. By default, it will link at run time to the
version that shipped with the package. For any sufficiently new compiler,
that won't work (by design) because the library and the compiler evolve
together. To tell the resulting gromacs which new standard library to link
to, you need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, e.g. for bash
on a 64-bit Linux system (almost all of them these days):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/gcc/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

in the shell from which you want to run gmx.

We should probably look into having cmake hack on the RPATH so this can
work more automagically.

Mark