[gmx-users] gmx freevolume

Federico Gallino Federico_Gallino at saes-group.com
Mon May 29 15:42:26 CEST 2017

Dear All,

I would like to put your attention on the output of gmx freevolume.
I cannot understand how the "Molecular van der Waals volume" is computed.
I made some crosschecks from the FFV but I never got the value written by gmx.

E.g:

Free volume 35.97 +/- 0.00 %
Total volume 68.07 +/- 0.00 nm^3
Number of molecules 64 total mass 51773.89 Dalton
Average molar mass: 808.97 Dalton
Density rho: 1263.06 +/- 0.00 nm^3
Molecular volume Vm assuming homogeneity: 1.0635 +/- 0.0000 nm^3
Molecular van der Waals volume assuming homogeneity:  0.6810 +/- 0.0000 nm^3
Fractional free volume 0.168 +/- 0.000

If I use the empirical correlation formula:

FFV=1-density*Vw/MW

I got:

FFV=-0.06326                   vs           FFv=0.168           (gmx freevolume, see above)

Vice versa if I compute Vw I got:

Vw= 0.748086   vs           Vw=0.6810         (gmx freevolume, see above)

In the manual, it is written that the algorithm come from the paper from Bondi, that is similar to the ones from Van Krevelen.

I applied the Van Krevelen group contribution approach and I got:

Vw=0.728  in good agreement with the formula above but in disagreement with the output from gmx freevolume

Thank you in advance for any clarifications.

Best regards,

Federico

Federico Gallino, Ph.D.
Computational Science & Engineering

mail: federico_gallino at saes-group.com
T: +39 02 93178316
Fax: +39 02 93178460

[cid:0__=4EBB0AAEDFA32D278f9e8a93d at saes-group.com]

This message and any attachments are confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, reproduction, disclosure, modification and/or dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying immediately to this message. Do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.If this mail is in response to mail containing ideas or proposals, it cannot be considered acceptance or commitment thereto; unsolicited mail - failing written confidentiality agreements in place - will not be processed on confidential basis until such time as confidentiality agreements may be executed by duly authorized representatives.