[gmx-users] g_rms using a structure in trajectory as reference

Abhishek Acharya abhi117acharya at gmail.com
Mon May 29 16:12:32 CEST 2017

Hello,

AFAIK, only coordintes of the reference file is uses for rmsd and rmsf
calculations. So you can do what you have already mentioned.
However, the choice of input structure may be different for rmsd and rmsf
calculations. Both can take any input coordinate (with same number of
atoms), but for rmsd, the general use case would take the starting frame
and calculate the rmsd for full trajectory to see the overall convergence
to equilibrium structure compared to the input structure.

For rmsf, it would make more sense to take a frame from the equilibrated
segment of the trajectory and run the rmsf analysis on the equilibrated
segment alone.

Regards,
Abhishek Acharya