[gmx-users] DrudeFF topology transfer from CHARMM to GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 31 13:52:03 CEST 2017

On 5/31/17 7:06 AM, Tomasz Piskorz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to simulate cyclohexane using Drude FF in GROMACS. I've seen
> that the topology is already available in CHARMM-DrudeFF and I would like
> to transfer it to GROMACS. However, I don't know how to calculate the
> charge of Drude particle, which is required by topology in GROMACS. Does
> anyone know how to do it?
>
> Atomic polarizability can be described by equation:
> alpha = (q_D)^2/k,
> where k = 418400 kJ/(mol*nm^2) and alpha is given in CHARMM topology (i.g.
> for O in glycine alpha=0.000651 nm^3). However, when I try to calculate the
> charge I always get a wrong result. Is this question which I should use or
> there is something more which I don't take under consideration?

Yes, there is an implicit conversion factor of Coulomb's constant.

qD = sqrt((alpha/kD)/CCELEC)

In CHARMM units, this is

qD = sqrt((0.651/1000)/332.0716)

I'll add the model compounds to the next release of the GROMACS-formatted Drude
force field.  I have other issues to sort out before doing that, though.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore