[gmx-users] how to do neutralization?

João Henriques joao.m.a.henriques at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:49:15 CET 2017

​That can't be right, AMBER03 does not contain amino acid residues with
partial charges. Each residue's charge is parametrized for a final integer
net charge. Are you using any custom/modified residue blocks? If not, when
you pass the PDB of a protein to pdb2gmx, and that protein containing aa.
residues that are defined in the force field​ rtp file, pdb2gmx will
produce a topology with integer net charge. It is generally a good idea to
tell pdb2gmx to ignore the hydrogen atoms present in the PDB file and set
the protonation states on the fly (using the -ignh and -inter flags).

Now, if you're tampering with the rtp and itp files and/or parametrizing it
yourself, that's a completely different story. AMBER03 and GROMACS are not
to blame, it must be whatever the user is doing. From experience, I can
tell you that a properly performed parametrization will yield no such
issues. But it's difficult to evaluate the problem you're trying to
describe without further detail.